The marketplace for wellness products is crowded and confusing. Supplements and vitamins are regulated, lightly at best, by the FDA, who is not really equipped to manage the overwhelming number of products and claims from the thousands of products on the market.
When CBD became legal in late 2018, a whole new set of products flooded the market. And though CBD from hemp has been legalized by Congress and removed from Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act, it has been passed to the FDA to regulate its use in products. To date the FDA has not released any guidance on CBD from hemp products, leaving manufacturers on their own to guess what the guidelines will be. This has resulted in some really great products entering the market, and some terrible ones. One recent study showed that only 2% of CBD products tested actually contained the amount of CBD stated on the label.
Plant Society aims to help clear the confusion by testing all products that we recommend or carry. The process starts when we identify products we are interested in. A product could come to our attention because of format, brand, function, claim, recommendation, novelty, or reputation. We are always looking for new products to evaluate.
Then we run all products through our 8-point testing protocol. We have a team of 5-10 testers test every product using the same protocol, so we feel pretty good about the results once we are done.
Our 8-point testing protocol:
- Ingredients: Product must not contain any items on our “Dirty” list, including parabens, petrolatum, sulfites, phthalates, artificial fragrances, flavors and colors, aluminum powder, BHA, BHT, ethanolamines, ethoxylated ingredients, PFCs, formaldehyde. To see our full list, click here.
- Clinical testing: We check the Certificate of Analysis (COA) for each product. This tells us whether or not the product has the amount of CBD stated on the label, ensures there is no THC in the product, and verifies that there are no trace chemicals or toxins in the product.
- Ease of Use: How easy is the product to use.
- Smell/Taste/Appearance: Is the product pleasant to use, pleasant to smell or eat
- Value: Is the product well priced for what it offers
- Labeling/Instructions: Is the product labeled with good instructions and easy to use
- Company: Is the company that makes the product a good company. Are they transparent, do they make false claims, do they have sustainability, diversity, and equity practices. Do they use clean ingredient sources and manufacturing processes.
- Efficacy: Does the product WORK? Does it do what it supposed to do, using the recommended dose.
If a product passes all of our testers, on all 8 points, then it is Plant Society Approved!
Finally, Plant Society is not interested in carrying too many products in each product category. We think this creates confusion. We know you don’t want to have to choose between 10 face oils. You just want to know which face oil we think is the very best. Because of this, Plant Society does not carry hundreds of CBD products. In fact, of the over 500 CBD products we have tested, we only carry about 50. So you can be sure that any product you choose is the one we think is the best of the best. We love when we hear from our clients that they are completely happy with the product they have purchased from us, and we offer a money back guarantee to anyone that is not happy with our products after 30 days.
So shop securely with us, knowing that all the products we offer are safe, effective, a great value, and thoroughly vetted.